How to Have a Healthier and Easier Pregnancy
This is a handout that I give my pregnant patients. Hopefully it will help you, too!
What You Can Do To Make A Difference For Your Baby
- Find a caregiver who supports your birth plan
- Add support professionals to your health care team: a chiropractor, massage therapist, acupuncturist, naturopath, prenatal instructor can help you feel better throughout your pregnancy.
- Become informed about doulas and how they can help decrease complications and labour times.
- Eat as healthy as possible and add foods that contain Vitamin B6.
- Take good quality prenatal vitamins
- Take a good quality probiotic
- Take a good quality Omega 3 Fish oil
- Drink lots of water – alkaline preferred
- Exercise but don’t overdo it – walking or swimming are great choices for keeping active
- Rest often
- Find natural ways to ease the discomforts of pregnancy
- Buy a baby car seat that supports your baby’s back and have someone help you install it properly
What You Can Do To Make A Difference For Yourself
- Strengthen your relationship. Go on as many dates as possible – it won’t be so easy to get away after your baby is born
- Get your hair styled into a cut that is easy to take care of
- Buy pajamas that you can wear in company
- Make meals ahead to save time and energy so that you can relax and bond with your baby
- Plan to spread help out after your baby is born – ask your extended family members to visit at scheduled times and stagger their arrival. This way, you have extra hands for as long as possible after your partner goes back to work.
Being pregnant is hard work! If you find anything on this list that appeals to you to make your life easier, just do it!! You will not have a lot of energy to spare in the first few weeks of your life with a new baby, so be kind to yourself and prepare in advance.